Search This Blog

Friday, November 5, 2010

Veterans Day

It's not surprising that Veterans Day hits close to home for most of us considering how many families have members who have served or are currently serving. When I think of past and current soldiers on this day, I always consider the amount of sacrifice that surrounds soldiers. There is the heartache of his/her parents, children, and spouse; the unimaginable physical and mental strain a soldier is under; and the emptiness of a country with all these young men and women abroad.

I think this Veterans Day in particular will be a politically charged one considering the war in Iraq hasn't been conclusive yet. However, I really hope that soldiers' names and contributions will not be quoted in vain or used in a political platform as has been done in the past. Even though I don't agree with war, that does not mean I look down upon soldiers. They are much braver than I and are very noble in their cause to defend people they know nothing about in order to maintain the security of the nation. Overall, I hope this Veterans Day serves its purpose, which in my opinion is for all citizens to show appreciation and empathy for all those that have served.

P.S. Intercultural Life will be selling patriotic silly bands for 50 cents each! You can choose from the Statue of Liberty, bald eagle, Liberty Bell, etc. in Maytag on Veterans Day (November 11) from 11-1 PM. All of the proceeds will go to a charity that sends care packages to soldiers serving abroad.

Felicia

1 comment:

  1. I do not believe in the war in Iraq but I do support the soldiers that fought for this country in the past and the soldiers that are fighting for this country today. Every generation of my family has at least one of these honorable soldiers defending this country. These soldiers should not only be honored on Veteren's Day but each and every day. They should be thanked for their service to this country, the people, and our freedom. I will proudly wear a band that symbolizes my support of these noble troops.

    ReplyDelete